This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Lignin dissolution of sengon and leda woods during alkali extraction
Corresponding Author(s) : Deded Nawawi
Jurnal Ilmu Kehutanan,
Vol 15 No 1 (2021): Maret
The dissolution of wood lignin in the alkali solution were analyzed for two fast growing species, sengon (Paraserianthes falcataria) dan leda (Eucalyptus deglupta). Wood samples were extracted in 1% sodium hydroxide solution in cold and hot temperatures for 24 and 1 h, respectively. Extractable substances content, permanganate consumption (expressed as assumed lignin content) were analyzed from the filtrates, lignin content and diastereomeric of β-O-4 structure were analyzed from the wood residue after alkali extraction. The extracted substances from both of wood in hot alkali was higher than in cold alkali solution, although the time of cold alkali extraction was much longer that hot alkali extraction. Assumed lignin content in the extract was quite high in both samples which were 34.4-42.9% and 35.5-39.8% including 2,15-2,29% dan 1,04-1,32% of lignin for cold and hot alkali extraction, respectively. The changes in stereo isomeric form, erythro and threo, of β-O-4 structure of lignin in wood residue indicated that partial depolimerization of lignin was takec place during alkali treatment.
- Adler E. 1977. Lignin chemistry, present and future. Wood Sci Technol. 11: 169-218.
- Akiyama T, Sugimoto T, Matsumoto Y, Meshitsuka G. 2002. Erythro/threo ratio of β-O-4 structures as an important structural characteristic of lignin. I. Improvement of ozonation method for the quantitative analysis of lignin side-chain structure. Wood Sci. 48: 210-215.
- Akiyama T, Goto H, Nawawi DS, Syafii W, Matsumoto Y, Meshitsuka G. 2005. Erythro/threo ratio of β-O-4 structures as an important structural characteristic of lignin. Part 4. Variation in the erythro/threo ratio in softwood and hardwood lignins and its relation to syringyl/guaiacyl ratio. Holzforschung 59: 276-281.
- Asghar U, Irfan M, Iram M, Huma Z, Nelofer R, Nadeem M, Syed Q. 2015. Effect of alkaline pretreatment on delignification of wheat straw. Nat Prod Res. 29(2):125-131.
- Benkeder ZK, Colin F, Dumarcay S, Gerardin P. 2015. Quantification and characterization of knotwood extractives of 12 European softwood and hardwood species. Annals For Sci. 72:277-284.
- Brannvall G. 2017. The limits of delignification in Kraft cooking. BioResources 12(1):2081-2107.
- Casey JP. 1980. Pulp and paper, chemistry and chemical technology. Vol.1. John Willey & Sons. New York.
- Del Rio JC, Guiterez A, Hernando M, Landin P, Romero J, Martinez AT. 2005. Determining the influence of Eucalyptus lignin composition in paper pulp yield using Pyr-GC/MS. J Anal Appl Pyr. 74:110-115.
- Dence CW. 1992 The determination of lignin. In: Methods in lignin chemistry. Eds. Lin, S.Y., Dence, C.W. Springer-Verlag. Berlin.
- Ekman R, Willfor S, Sjoholm R, Reunanen M, Maki J, Lehtila R, Eckerman C. 2002. Identification of the lignan Nortrachelogenin in knot and branch heartwood of scots pine (P. sylvestris) Holzforschung 56(3):253-256
- Fatrawana A, Maulana S, Nawawi DS, Sari RK, Hidayat W, Park SH, Febrianto F, Lee SH, Kim NH. 2019. Changes in chemical components of steam-treated betung bamboo strands and their effects on the physical and mechanical properties of bamboo-oriented strand boards. European J Wood & Wood Prod. 77(5): 731-739.
- Gonzales-Vila FJ, Almendros G, del Rio JC, Martin F, Guiterez A, Romero J. 1999. Easy of delignification assessment of wood from different Eucalyptus species by pyrolysis (TMAH)-GC/MS and CP/MAS 13C-NMR spectrometry. J Anal Appl Pyr. 49: 295-305.
- Heitner C, Dimmel D, Schmidt JA. 2010. Ligninand Lignans: Advances in Chemistry. CRC Press. New York.
- Kondo R, Sarkanen KV. 1984. Kinetic of lignin and hemicellulose dissolution during the initial stage of alkaline pulping. Holzforschung. 38: 31-36.
- Mansikkala T, Patanen M, Karkonen A, Korpinen R, Pranovieh A, Ohigashi T, Swaraj S, Seitsonen J, Ruokolainen J, Huttula M, Saranpaa P, Piispanen R. 2020. Lignin in knotwood of Norway spruce: Localisation with softX-ray microscopy and acanning transmission electronmicroscopy with energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. Molecule 25:1-22.
- Matsumoto Y, Ishizu A, Nakano J. 1986. Studies on chemical structure of lignin by ozonation. Holzforschung 40(Suppl.): 81-85.
- Nawawi DS, Syafii W, Tomoda I, Uchida Y, Akiyama T, Yokoyama T, Matsumoto Y. 2017. Characteritics and reactivity of lignin in Acacia and Eucalyptus woods. J. Wood Chem. Technol. 37(4): 273-282.
- Oriez V, Peydecastaing J, Pontaliner PY. 2020. Lignocellulosic biomass mild alkaline fractionation and resulting extract purification precosses, condition, yields and purities. Clean Technol. 2:91-115.
- Rudiyansyah. 2013. Steroid dan lignan dari kayu Batang Durio exleyanus (Malvaceae). Valensi 3(1):57-64.
- Sanni SE, Akinrinola O, Yusuf EO, Fagbiele OO, Agboola O. 2018. Chemical kinetic of alkaline pretreatment of Napres grass (Pennisetum purpureum) prior enzymatic hydrolysis. The Open Chemical Enginnering J. 12:36-56.
- Shimizu S, Yokoyama T, Akiyama T, Matsumoto Y. 2012. Reactivity of lignin with different composition of aromatic syringyl/guaiacyl structures and erythro/threo side chain structures in β-O-4 type during alkaline delignification: As a basis for the different degradability of hardwood and softwood lignin. J Agric Food Chem. 60(26), 6471-6476.
- Sjostrom E. 1991. Wood chemistry, fundamental and applications. Academic Press. New York.
- Stenius P. 2000. Forest Products Chemistry. Papermaking Science and Technology. Fapet Oy. Finland.
- Suzuki S, Umezawa T. 2007. Biosynthesis of lignans and neolignans. J Wood Sci. 53:273-284.
- [TAPPI] Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry. 1996. TAPPI Test Methods. TAPPI Press. Atlanta.
- Teponno RB, Kusari S, Spiteller. 2016. Recent advances in research on lignans and neolignans. Nat Prod Rep. 33:1044-1092.
- Tsutsumi Y, Kondo R, Sakai K, Imamura H. 1995. The difference of reactivity between syringyl lignin and guaiacyl lignin in alkaline system. Holzforschung 49: 423-428.