Assessment of Climate Change Adaptation Strategies and Mitigation among Agrarian Communities in North Kordofan, Sudan
Corresponding Author(s) : Mohammed Mohammed
Jurnal Ilmu Kehutanan,
Vol 15 No 1 (2021): Maret
The current study was conducted in Bara Locality- North Kordofan - Sudan to assess climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies among agrarian communities. Qualitative and quantitative data were collected by randomly interviewing 150 respondents from ten villages, using questionnaire. Descriptive statistics in SPSS software package and Microsoft Excel were used for data analysis. Results of study showed that agrarian communities, and due to climate change, have enforced to develop ten adaptation strategies suitable for agriculture in dryland conditions. The most adaptation strategies being used by the agrarian communities, are cultivation in different directions locally Sheraik (77%), sowing before rain locally Ramail (77%) and reducing cultivated area as mentioned by 67% of interviewed respondents. In forests sector, around 65 % of the interviewed respondents have been practiced agro-forestry as an adaptation strategy. The interviewees were also able to figure out 6 possible mitigation strategies to stave off climate change effects. These strategies are for example building capacity of agrarian communities (73%) and provision of early mature, high yielding and drought tolerant crops (63%). The study come out with some suggestions in order to pave the way for policymakers to tailor suitable future interventions to mitigate the impact of climate change among agrarian communities.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Adam, H. S. and Abdalla, H. A. (2007). Metrology and Climatology, book. Desertification and desert cultivation studies institute (DADCSI) and UNESCO chair on desertification studies – University of Khartoum –University of Khartoum press.
- Adebanjo, M. O. (2013). The effects of climate change adaptation strategies on food crop production efficiency in southwestern Nigeria.
- Chinvanno, S. (2012). Climate Change Adaptation As A Development Strategy: A major challenge for Southeast Asian countries; Southeast Asia START Regional Center, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand.
- Cochran, W.G. (1977). Sampling techniques (3rd ed.). New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- FAO (2012). Climate change adaptation and mitigation challenges and opportunities in the food sector. Technical paper: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). http://www.fao.org/docrep/016/i2855e/i2855e.pdf
- Hano, A. I. (2003). Assessment of some effects of sand dunes shelterbelts in North Kordofan State. Case study: Elbasheri shelter belt. M.Sc. Thesis Institute of Desertification and Desert Cultivation Studies, University of Khartoum.
- IFAD (2011). Rural poverty report 2011, new realities, new challenges: new opportunities for tomorrow’s generation. International Fund for Agricultural Development, IFAD, Rome, Italy.
- IPCC (2007). Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Pachauri, R.K and Reisinger, A. (eds.). IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Khiry, M. A. (2007). Spectral mixture analysis for monitoring and mapping desertification processing in semi-arid areas, application of Remote Sensing in Monitoring Drylands, North Kordofan State, Sudan, ISBN: 978-3-938807-70-5 Rhombas Verlag, Berlin, Germany.
- Kumar, K. (1989). Conducting Key Informant Interviews in Developing Countries: A.I.D. Program Design and Evaluation Methodology Report No. 13 Agency for International Development.
- Mohammed, M. H., Hamad, S. A. and Adam, H. E. (2016). Assessment of vegetation cover status in dry lands of the Sudan using social and terrestrial data. Journal of Forest Science, Vol. 10 No. 2, 77-85.
- Mukhala, A. and Chavula, A. (2007). Challenges to Coping Strategies with Agrometerological Risk and Uncertainties in Africa. In: Sivakumar, MVK and Motha, R. (Eds) Managing weather and climate risks in agriculture. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg; pp: 39-51.
- NAPA (2007). National Adaptation Programme of Action. Republic of the Sudan, Ministry of Environment and Physical Development, Higher Council for Environment and Natura Resources, Khartoum.
- Osman-Elasha, B., Goutbi, N., Spanger-Siegfried, E., Dougherty, B., Hanafi, A., Zakieldeen,A .Sanjak, A., Atti, H.A. and Elhassan, H.M. (2006). Adaptation strategies to increase human resilience against climate variability and change: Lessons from the arid regions of Sudan. AIACC Working Paper No. 42. www.aiaccproject.org.
- Pokhrel, D.M. and Pandey, B. (2011). Climate change adaptation: strategic vision in agriculture. Journal of Agriculture and Environment, 12.
- Zakieldeen, S.A. (2009). Adaptation to Climate Change: A vulnerability Assessment for Sudan. International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED), gatekeeper 142.