The Word-Formation Processes and Semantic Relations of Compound Words in National Geographic Magazine Articles

https://doi.org/10.22146/lexicon.v10i2.81516

Muhammad Akmal Taqiyyudin(1), Rio Rini Diah Moehkardi(2*)

(1) English Department Universitas Gadjah Mada
(2) English Department Universitas Gadjah Mada
(*) Corresponding Author

Abstract


This study examines compound words and their semantic relations and interprets the meanings of the newly coined compound words found in National Geographic magazine’s January to June 2019 issues. This study uses qualitative methods to analyze the data. It classifies compound words using Delahunty & Garvey’s theory (2010) into five types: compound noun (CN), compound verb (CV), compound adjective (CAdj), compound adverb (CAv), and neoclassical compound (NCC). It also analyzes the semantic relations of compound words. The results of the study show that 241 compound words were found. The most common type of compound words was compound nouns (59.75%), followed by neoclassical compounds (18.67%), compound adjectives (15.35%), compound verbs (4.98%), and the least common type is compound adverbs (1.24%). The study also shows that 70.54% of the compound words found belong to endocentric compounds, and the remaining 29.46% to exocentric compounds. In addition, six newly coined and theme-related compound words were found. The meanings of these newly coined compound words are not available in referenced dictionaries.


Keywords


compound word; semantic relation; endocentric compound; exocentric compound; National Geographic Magazine

Full Text:

PDF


References

Arola-Arnal, et al. (2019). Chrononutrition And Polyphenols: Roles and Diseases. Nutrients. 11(11), 1–18.

Cambridge Online Dictionary. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://dictionary.cambridge.org.

Carstairs-McCarthy. (2002). An introduction to English Morphology: Words and their structure in linguistics. Edinburg University Press.

Damayanti, L. (2020). Compound words found in Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees (Sri Chinmoy). E-Journal of Linguistics 14(2), 268-275.

Delahunty, G. P., & Garvey, J. J. (2010). The English language: From sound to sense. Parlor Press.

Lieber, R. (2015). Introducing morphology. Cambridge University Press.
Loeb, A. (2015). Breakthrough starshot: Reaching for the stars. SciTech Europa Quarterly 31, 1-4.

Macreadie, P. I., Anton, A., Raven, J. A., Beaumont, N., Connolly, R. M., Friess, D. A., Kelleway, J. J., … Duarte, C. M. (2019). The future of blue carbon science. Nature Communications 10(1), 1–13.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.merriam-webster.com

Moehkardi, R. (2002). Lexical and grammatical English collocations: Some possible problems to Indonesian learners of English. Humaniora 14(1), 53-62.
NASA. (2021). Starshade technology development. Astro 2010 Technology Development White Paper, 1-10.

National Geographic. (2019, January). The future of medicine, 1–144.

National Geographic. (2019, February). The ultimate climb, 1–144.

National Geographic. (2019, March). We are not alone, 1–144.

National Geographic. (2019, April). Cities, 1–147.

National Geographic. (2019, May). Leonardo, 1–140.

National Geographic. (2019, June). The hidden cost of wildlife tourism, 1-142.

Nellemann, C., Corcoran, E., Duarte, C. M., Valdés, L., De Young, C.,Fonseca, L., Grimsditch, G. (Eds). (2009). Blue Carbon. A Rapid Response Assessment. United Nations Environment Programme, GRID-Arendal, www.grida.no.

Nurazizah, A. S., & Nazhafah,V. S. N. (2018). Compound words found in the Republika news article. PROJECT (Professional Journal of English Education). 1(4), 324–331.

Oxford Learner’s Dictionaries. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com

Septi, K., Rahayu, D., Sukarno, D., & Khazanah. (2016). A morphological analysis on English compound words in five articles of BBC News. Artikel Ilmiah Mahasiswa 2016. Jember: Jember University, 1-7.

Yule, G. (2010). The study of language (4th Ed.). Cambridge University Press.

Zevenbergen, C., Fu, D., & Pathirana, A. (2018). Sponge cities: Emerging approaches, challenges and opportunities. MDPI Water 10(1230), 1-3.



DOI: https://doi.org/10.22146/lexicon.v10i2.81516

Article Metrics

Abstract views : 319 | views : 379

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2023 Muhammad Akmal Taqiyyudin, Rio Rini Diah Moehkardi

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.


Lexicon Office

English Department
Faculty of Cultural Sciences,
Universitas Gadjah Mada
Soegondo Building, 3rd Floor, Room 306
Yogyakarta, Indonesia 55281
Telephone: +62 274 513096
Email: lexicon.fib@ugm.ac.id

ISSN: 2746-2668 (Online)

Web Analytics View Stats

Creative Commons License
LEXICON is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Lexicon is indexed in

 

About UsSubmissionIssuePoliciesReview