ROAD INFRASTRUCTURE AND SPATIAL ECONOMIC DEPENDENCE IN THE WESTERN REGION OF JAVA

https://doi.org/10.22146/jieb.10313

Siti Herni Rochana(1*), B. Kombaitan(2), Eka Purwanda(3)

(1) Institut Teknologi Bandung
(2) Institut Teknologi Bandung
(3) STIE STEMBI Bandung
(*) Corresponding Author

Abstract


The western region of the island of Java consists of three provinces, namely: West Java, Banten, and Jakarta, is a region that contributes significantly to the GDP of Indonesia. In 2010 the contribu-tion of the three provinces was 33.94% of the total GDP, and the remaining 66.06% came from the other 30 provinces. In spite of its high contribution, in terms of the value added by the western region of Java, there are inequalities between the regions. In the year 2010, Jakarta’s per capita income was ten times, or more, than that of Lebak. The existence of this problem in the income disparity between the regions in western Java raises questions relating to the spatial economic dependence of the west-ern region of Java. The unit analysis of the research is all the districts/cities in West Java, Banten, and Jakarta. The measurement used for the spatial economic dependence is Moran’s Index. Spatial varia-bles were comprised in the spatial weight matrix (matrix-W), which was formed using three approach-es: based on the distance, the neighbourhood, and the road transportation network. The economic variables in this study are the level of income per capita and economic growth. The results showed spatial economic dependence, based on distance and neighbourhood, tended to be low. Whereas, the spatial economic dependence based on road connectivity, especially freeways, showed a moderate correlation.

Keywords: road infrastructure, spatial economic dependence, Moran’s Index, western region of Java.


Full Text:

PDF



DOI: https://doi.org/10.22146/jieb.10313

Article Metrics

Abstract views : 890 | views : 1093

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.




Copyright (c) 2016 Journal of Indonesian Economy and Business



Journal of Indonesian Economy and Business

Journal

Editorial Team
Focus and Scope
Peer Review Process
Publication Ethics
Screening for Plagiarism

Authors

Author Guidelines
Submission Guidelines
Online Submissions
Copyright Notice
Privacy Statement
Author Fees

Download

Author Pack
Submission Form & Manuscript Template

 

Reviewer

Reviewer Guidelines
Reviewer Acknowledgement

 

Reader

General Search
Achieves
Author index
Title index

 

 

The Journal of Indonesian Economy and Business (print ISSN 2085-8272; online ISSN 2338-5847) is published by the Faculty of Economics and Business Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia. The content of this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

© 2019 Journal of Indonesian Economy and Business 
 Visitor Statistics